Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

More Stuff

Charlie Hebdo

I've been racked with doubt over my mini-crusade against the Social Justice Warriors who watch True Detective and think "How does this show represent my gender to little girls?"  It's not that I want a white male patriarchy to control everything, so why am I busting the balls of the people trying to chip away at it? 

This is why:  Freedom of expression is more important than everyone's fickle sensitivities.

I'm not an unthinking person.  I understand that artistic representations of Islam's most notable prophets are offensive.  I understand that women are often sexualized in movies and that's offensive.  But in almost all cases, it hurts no one to just look away.

Books

I finished Lost Souls yesterday and am sad to report that it was not just about gay vampires.  It was about gay, incestuous vampires.  Subject matter aside, I enjoyed the book.  It left a few threads under-developed, but the characters were vivid and the plot had that tricky momentum that steered the story into regions both inevitable and unpredictable.

I'm not going after Sunglasses after Dark anymore, but I am thinking that next up might be The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood or Dawn by Octavia Butler.  Or maybe just The Hobbit.


Whatever it is, it will be a combination reading/listening experience, as was Lost Souls, as was The Tides.  Switching back and forth on my Kindle (or my phone) is a luxury of reading that I'm happy to enjoy.

Except when it plays something I've already listened to when I'm driving.  Now there's a first world problem.  The audiobook on my smartphone is repeating itself and I can't do anything about it because I'm driving.

No comments: