Pages

Thursday, May 01, 2014

Counting Vaginas - August: Osage County Edition

I was tempted to see it in theaters, but I waited until Redbox had it.  I was interested in August: Osage County not because the play won the Pulitzer but because Tracy Letts wrote it.  He writes these really weird and nasty plays, most of them set in Oklahoma, plays I must admit I have only seen in movie form. 

Sitting in an audience, watching it unfold in person I imagine would be quite the uncomfortable experience.

August: Osage County is no different, but it is somewhat gentler than Bug or Killer Joe.

I suppose it doesn't pass the Bechdel test, either, even though most of its cast are women and they have lots of conversations.  Most of the discussions, however, seem to be about men, which is not unexpected in a play about a family coming together, and falling apart, after the patriarch's death.

I thought it was a pretty decent movie.  I'm glad I didn't see it on the big screen.  The effect isn't so much a cinematic experience as it is a literary one.  I even put the subtitles on, so I could read the words, see how they looked.

There's no blood, but there are a lot of knives.  Should you watch it?  I guess that depends on how much drama you can take.

1 comment:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I did see the play a few years ago. It was awesome, and you are right that it was a bit uncomfortable. Like being with someone else's family when a fight breaks out and you aren't quite sure what to do other than sit there.