Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Challenges

This was last week, when it snowed.  This little entry way faces west, so it's in shade most of the day and gets a big blast of sun in the afternoon.  The plants grow in weird directions if I don't turn them around every day or so.

The space heater was keeping them nice and toasty during a frost.
After the frost, I moved them out back to the patio.  Some I planted, others I didn't.  This is what they looked like after the storms.  The white stuff, that's hail.
The worst hail I've ever seen in my gardening career. 
Obviously most of my stock is gone.  I still have a few tomatoes growing under lights in the closet, so...that's good.  I also planted some seeds in the ground that should...hopefully...survive.  (I usually just do all transplants.)

The bonus is that I just started two more flats of seedlings and I had yet to set out some of the younger transplants that have been potted up in the last few days.

In other words, I'm trying not to be too sad about it, and my diligent preparation is making that an easy task.

3 comments:

Uncle Jim said...

RE-PLANT. ITS STILL REAL EARLY IN THE SEASON.

James said...

Yeah, man. I was running out of pots for the seedlings anyway.

KickinAssTakingNames said...

That sucks. But Uncle Jim has a point, it is early. Plus, you seem to have a bit of a green thumb, so if anything can be salvaged, you'll do it.