Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Vikings

I've been making my way through the first season of Vikings and there are a lot of things I like very much.

And there are a lot of thing I don't.

The villain, played by Gabriel Byrne, is too cartoony, too unnecessarily treacherous.  I suppose it's an attempt to make him unlikable, and it does...maybe too well. 

I do like the leads, though, both Travis Fimmel, who plays Ragnar Rodbrock, and Kathryn Winnick, who plays his wife.

But I also like the tone.  It's set in a time when the Vikings were first coming into contact with Christian settlements in England, and they tend to emphasize the cultural differences.  From what I've read of the Vikings in Robert Ferguson's book, they get a lot of details right.

Of course, they get a few wrong too.  The Viking halls weren't as cavernous as depicted, for instance, but you have to leave some room for dramatic license.

The other thing I like about is the theme song, which is out there.  Take a listen.  The vocals are by a woman, but they're processed so that they sound like they're by a supernatural creature of some sort.



This will never end
'Cause I want more
More, give me more
Give me more

This will never end
Cause I want more
More, give me more
Give me more

If I had a heart I could love you
If I had a voice I would sing
After the night when I wake up
I'll see what tomorrow brings

If I had a voice, I would sing

Dangling feet from window frame
Will I ever ever reach the floor?
More, give me more, give me more

Crushed and filled with all I found
Underneath and inside
Just to come around
More, give me more, give me more

If I had a voice, I would sing

No comments: