Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Snowden

I have not mentioned Edward Snowden on my blog yet and the main reason is that I have a somewhat unpopular, counter-intuitive take on the subject.

Rather than seeing him as some kind of brave hero, I think he's more of a delusional fool.  I'd like to note, however, that this does not mean that I approve of the NSA's domestic spying program.  I just do not approve of putting Snowden on a pedestal as a way of registering your disapproval of the domestic spying program.

The dude stole classified information and took it to Hong Kong China.  Then he took it to Russia.  Then he's trying to get some kind of "political asylum" because he's worried he'll be tortured if he's extradited back to the US.*

And meanwhile, every well-meaning liberal, skeptical conservative, and brain-dead libertarian in this country are falling all over themselves in praise of Snowden.  I'm surprised statues haven't been commissioned.

And now the Obama administration has announced reforms.  The president gave a big speech about it the other day.  Outlining the ideas, Kevin Drum calls them "fairly weak tea," and he's right.  These are the weakest, most cosmetic, most useless reforms imaginable.  It's hard to see how anyone will be satisfied by them, and from what I've seen of the pro-Snowden folks I read, they're not.

But this is ridiculous:
Nonetheless, I'm pretty certain that we wouldn't have gotten even this much if it weren't for Edward Snowden. This is why I support Snowden's disclosures despite the fact that I'm not happy about every last thing he's disclosed.
Are you kidding me?  Snowden is going to spend the rest of his life in jail or on the run all so the NSA is restricted to only two hops instead of three?  What a hero.  I guess that's what happens when you're more interested in self-aggrandizement than doing something truly useful.


*  Told you that torture shit wasn't a good idea. 

1 comment:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

Not to mention that the administration can talk about "reforms" all they want, but how do we really know? I don't believe it for a second.

Yes, I've become very jaded and suspicious. I don't trust the govt. at all.

Good luck to your Broncos today! I will be rooting for them. And I will be rooting against the Patriots even harder. Hate 'em.