Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Reading Bad Short Stories

I've been reading this story, just a short story, and it's awful.  I mean, really bad.  I could skip it but then I would never know just how truly awful it is.

So a lady is driving across the desert to visit her cancer-inflicted sister in the hospice. Along the way, she has a close encounter with a UFO, "almond-shaped eyes" and everything.  The weird thing is that we get pages and pages of setup and backstory, all this internal monologue and excessively detailed description, and then when we get to the aliens, it's just a few paragraphs of alien contact, then bloop...cut to the next scene at the hospital.

Now maybe I'm just impatient, but I don't think it's really cool to make your reader sit through pages of nonsense before you get to the interesting part of your story, not that an alien encounter is all that interesting.  I mean, I hope to God all that stuff about how she was fat in high school is going to come back into play later.  Otherwise, why did I just read it?

Leave that shit in the notebook, man. 

No comments: