Pages

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Cis-Gendered Hetero Stupidity

We all know that I'm a pretty progressive dude.  I voted for Obama twice.  Full tolerance of gays is non-negotiable with me.  I don't hate labor unions or welfare or black people.  I'm a liberal and I make no apology for it.

But I can't get on board with this nonsense.
I haven’t seen Ender’s Game. Frankly, I’m not sure I’m going to because I’m still trying to process how I feel about seeing a movie based on a book I loved that benefits a notorious bigot, no matter how indirectly.
...and I'm off the bus.

As we have seen so many times over the years, refusing to yield to the limits of your political ideology can cause problems. That's how we got the government shutdown, and that's how we get well-meaning liberals conflicting themselves over stupid shit like this.

So, Well-Meaning (but stupid) Liberal, you loved the book...but you can't figure out "how you feel" when it comes to the movie. Not because of any particular quality of the movie --you haven't even seen it yet-- but because you haven't figured out to properly separate the artist from the art. And hey, I get it.

That can seem confusing, especially in a world where graffiti is instantly considered "fine art" if Banksy was the one holding the spray cans, but it's quite easy if you follow this one simple rule: Focus on the art.

Card is not the first reprehensible human being who wrote a good book. That list is long and goes back centuries. But even then...

What kind of moral quagmire have you created for yourself where you are able to read and enjoy the book, every word written by Card himself, but are unsure of how you feel about the movie he had no involvement in?

Seems like this is a dilemma that can be easily fixed by clicking your heels three times and admitting to yourself that there is no actual dilemma. Go watch the movie. See if it's as good as the book. If it is, feel free to enjoy it. If not, feel free to pan it.

But don't judge a book based on the politics of its author. That's not very smart.

Also.....in regards to the piece I'm quoting from, I'm glad I encountered this sentence towards this end:
I feel obligated to observe that it’s easy for me, a cis-gendered hetero male, to talk about this.
If this guy lead with that, I'm not sure I would have made it to the end.

You're not a "cis-gendered hetero male." You're a straight dude. And you seem to kind of feel bad about it, like you're hetero-maleness makes you less of a person, like you're not entitled to form an opinion.

This I cannot abide. My version of "equality" means never having to worry that you might be a member of the wrong demographic.

No comments: