Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

The Police

I'm not sure why lately I've been drawn to post-punk new-wavey music of the late 70s and early 80s these days.  A few months ago, it was Joy Division all the time.

The last few weeks, it's been The Police.  Admittedly, that started by having a sad and listening to King of Pain.  But then a funny thing happened.

I had my player queued up to their box set and after playing through the later MTV-friendly stuff, when they were the biggest band in the world, it switched over to their early stuff, when they were just a couple of young blokes trying to do something new and interesting.

I got stuck listening to Next To You on a loop for about a week.  No joke.  A week.

If you haven't heard it in a while, give it a listen and marvel that this is the same band that did Every Breath You Take.


This morning (tonight?) I woke up one of their earliest songs stuck in my head, one that never even appeared on any of their albums.

It's called Nothing Achieving.   Check it out:


My Daddy's boots don't fit me....cuz I'm bigger than him.
The interesting thing about this song is that it reminds me more of, say, Judas Priest than the band that would eventually make Every Little Thing She Does is Magic.

There's even a pretty ripping guitar solo.

No comments: