Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Asshole

I always find it amusing when some asshole has it in their head that they're really "a good person."  Me, I have no illusions about my awfulness.

Today I yelled at an old lady and a homeless guy.

The old lady decided she was going to treat the intersection at the end of my block as a four-way stop, even though it's not.  I'm waiting for her to clear the road, and she just stops, staring at me. 

I motion for her to go.  She motions for me to go.  Not wanting to wait for her to pull her head out of her ass, I went and as I drove by, I yelled at her, "Do you see a fucking stop sign?"

Proof that life isn't fair:  This lady can't drive, but I'm the asshole.

Later, I stopped off at 7-11 and was accosted by a toothless and possibly smelly man asking me for a quarter.  I always find it difficult to conceal my true feelings for homeless beggars, so I just crinkled my nose and shook my head.

7-11 business concluded, I came back out and this dude asked me again for a quarter. 

Me:  "No, man.  You already asked me."

Homeless guy:  "I'm just trying to get to downtown Denver."

Me:  "Take the train.  Or do what the rest of us do:  work for a living."


It's pointless, of course, to explain this to a homeless guy begging outside a 7-11.  I'm sure he's thought long and hard about why he can't work and a casual encounter with an asshole like me isn't going to change his mind.

But hey, it's simple.  You have no money.   You're trying to get downtown.  Chances are you'll be able to make it downtown on the train before they figure out you have no ticket.  And if not, oh well.  They kick you off the train and you walk the rest of the way.

Maybe if I was a nicer person I could have explained this to him.  But time was short and I'm an asshole, so he got the brush-off. Road rage and the brush off.  That's what I did today.

To make up for it, I put in 12 hours at the office and talked to over a hundred people, who I was extremely nice to, every one.

1 comment:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

Every time you tell one of your road rage stories, I feel like we are kindrid spirits.

What you said to the homeless guy was pretty bold and yes, rather assy. But believe me, he didn't need the explanation about the train. He knew he could've hoppped on that train for free. He was just looking for the money.