Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty

I haven't been to the movies since last July, so I'm a bit behind the curve.  All these old movies are new to me, Skyfall, Lincoln, Les Mis, The Hobbit, Django Unchained, Red Dawn, Argo, Killing Them Softly, Zero Dark Thirty.  I think I actually prefer it this way.

I saw Zero Dark Thirty a couple nights ago and it's stayed with me.  There were some things I liked and some I didn't.  I thought I'd like Jessica Chastain a lot more, but her character was one-dimensional and not very interesting.  I couldn't help feeling like she was more of a plot device rather than a person.  She's conveniently connected to all these disparate events, but is not allowed to provide them with perspective.  All we get is her stone-face and her dirty mouth, as if bad language were a character trait,

There were a few other things that didn't work, a scene of high tension between Chastain and Kyle Chandler that's only dramatic because they are yelling, and the whole Camp Chapman sequence, which was so obviously telegraphed that you lose sympathy for the characters because they're so dumb.

But with that said, the whole raid sequence at the end worked quite well and that is what's been sticking with me.

It was chilling watching those guys creep through Osama Bin Laden's house in near-silence.  They tap each other on the shoulder before they enter a room.  They blow doors off their handles and metal gates off their hinges.   They whisper a guy's name before they shoot him.  They shoot him once he's down to make sure he's not getting up.  They slap women.

And when they get to the third floor, you hear that creepy whisper.  "Usama...Usama."  Then Pflttt, pflttt.  The silenced rifles go off.

You never see his face...

I was talking to a guy at work about it today and he expressed some doubt that they got Osama Bin Laden.  I'm reasonably sure they got him.  I mean, sure it could all be a great conspiracy...but it's more plausible this way.  They raided his compound, shot the fucker dead, and took the body away.

Did they whisper "Usama...Usama" before they did it?  Man, I hope so.

2 comments:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

I'm surprised you haven't been to a movie since last July, as I always took you to be a movie buff. I assume this might have something to do with the Aurora shooting? I wouldn't blame you. I went to see the new Rob Zombie flick last night - first movie I've been to in a long while (not his best, but super fucked up). At least halfway through the movie a guy walzed in and took a seat toward the very front on the aisle. I immediately thought of Aurora and became suspicious. Which I wouldn't have expected myself to do, so it caught me a bit offguard. I sought out the closest exit and hoped for the best. Of course, it was just a guy sneaking in on the last half.

uncle "one shot one kill" jim said...

I really enjoyed the water boarding scenes.