Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Oscars

I didn't watch them and I didn't really care who won.  I haven't seen any of the nominated films, maybe a few little ones, so I wasn't even invested in the thing. 

But it happened and the guys at work wanted to talk about it.

I don't think the Academy is really the best judge of movies, and they often lionize the most mundane dreck, but then again, you can blame that on their bias against genre.  But they do have influence, not just in who gets the jobs (which is often the winners, the nominees, and the snubs) but in what kind of movies get made.

This year, maybe they got a mixed bag.  Argo got best picture, tagging Ben Affleck and George Clooney as hot commodities.  They can pick which development deal they want.  I say that's cool.  They show promise as guys who can not only star in movies, but get good ones made.  I wouldn't mind if they got a little more clout.

Ang Lee as Best Director, though?  That one I'm not sure about.  Give him two of them?  Two more than Hitchcock?  Man, I don't know.  I guess if his background is taken into account, he makes "interesting" films, but Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the only one on my Must-Have list.  Maybe Life of Pi deserved it, or maybe just give another one to Spielberg and call it a day.

What's Ang Lee's next one going to be and why should I care?

No comments: