Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Shows

The Good

Raising Hope - Garrett Dilahunt murders this show, dries out its skin, and wears it dancing in the moonlight.  Martha Plimpton is hilarious too.

New Girl - I wasn't sure about this one.  Loving Zooey Deschanel was a sure thing, but I wasn't sure about the dudes. But they've let the show grow into their actors a bit, with Nick being less pathetic and Schmidt more.

Modern Family - This has been in the rotation from the get go and I have no reason to let it go.

Parks and Recreation - Still killing it, but I'm not sure what Rob Lowe is doing on it.

The Mindy Project - I really wonder if this one will get picked up.  I hope so.  Great writing, great performances.  But it looks more expensive than it needs to be and I'm not sure it can out compete all the other "girls in New York" shows.  Plus it's on Fox, so I fear the axe is coming.  That would free up 22 minutes a week, but c'mon.

Community - It's back!  Not liking the Troy and Britta sleeping together thing, but I'm sure they're thinking "but she has such great chemistry with Donald."  Dude, Donald Glover has great chemistry with everyone.

The Bad

Scandal - Should be a winner, could be a winner, but it strains credulity much too often for a show with no supernatural undertones.  I like Kerry Washington as the manic go-getter who is much too young to have any credibility in DC, and I like Guillermo Diaz as Huck, her psycho assistant, but I'm not sure I like the beveled glass sliding in front of the camera all the time or any of the convoluted plots.

The Taste - I saw this because of Anthony Bourdain, but I just feel kind of embarrassed for him.  The set they have just looks cheap and the set-up is confusing.  They have teams, but then they blind-taste stuff and send people home?  They're trying to go for that cooking show drama Gordon Ramsey does so well, but it doesn't work.

The Ugly

The Following - This one came highly recommended and it has a lot to offer, Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy, Winona from Justified.  But I couldn't get through the first episode. 

First I laughed out loud when the crazed naked follower with Poe written all over her body stuck an ice pick in her eye.  "You don't want to do this," Kevin Bacon says.  Dude, she's naked with Poe written all over her body.  She brought an ice pick to a place with no ice.  Of course she wants to do it.

That was just funny, but there's more!

The killer, played by James Purefoy, has this acolyte that works at the prison.  The police find out about him through looking through some computer files and barge in on his house with a SWAT team.  It was all very Silence of the Lambs, but you know, unnecessary.   A reason to pump up the music, add some drama.

They find the house empty, but one wall is covered in all these lost dog posters.  This is when I groan.

It's not enough for this guy to be a serial killer's apprentice who helped him escape from prison, oh no.  He has to be a dog killer too.  A fucking dog serial killer.

And sure enough, they search his computer and finds videos of him killing dogs and then, what's that?  Over on this table they find the guy's latest victim, a dog who's been mutilated, moaning under a blanket.

That was too much for me.  I felt myself pulled out of the show and into the hands of some writer who was trying to bludgeon me, hitting me with THIS IS A BAD GUY, pound, pound, pound.

I get it.  He's a serial killer's apprentice who helped him escape from jail.  Leave it at that.  You don't have to make him a dog killer too.  One character later says, "You know, dead people I can handle, but dead dogs?"

Really, writing team?  

1 comment:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

Awww man....I LOVE The Following!! As outlandish as it is, it's super fucked up and I love me some fucked up-ness. I'm also continuously shocked by how graphically violent it is, considering it's network TV. It got picked up for another season. Yeah!

I'm also into Deception, although I believe after the season finale next week it's not coming back. At least I'll get some sort of closure, which nowadays the networks often rob us of. I think the storyline is good, but unfortunately it moves rather slowly, which I think killed it. Good cast, though. I adore Victor Garber. Blame Titanic.

I've also been on Modern Family from day one. It still makes me laugh, but for some reason not as much this season. Not sure why. I hope the writing isn't going down the tubes already.