Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Couple Things

I've been elbow-deep in the second season of Shameless, the American version, so I haven't been spinning my way through the interwebs this weekend.  Having some time to kill before the laundromat opens this morning, this is what I found:

Matt Yglesias on the revelations that Subway's "foot long" sandwiches are only 11 inches, writes:
If that were all there is to the story, I would say fair enough. The real problem with Subway is that their food isn't very good and their restaurants are a bit smelly. Eleven inches of those sandwiches is plenty.
I have to say, he's right.  At one time, Subway was a suitable alternative to the thrown-together crap at other big chains, but somewhere along the way, they succumbed to the "Expand to Ubiquity" curse.  While I can appreciate bringing these restaurants into every strip mall and Wal-Mart in America, I do think that the primary concern of any restaurant should be serving good food rather than finding new places in which to dispense crap.

That's why it always makes me laugh when I hear some franchise-owners complain about Obamacare.  I want to sit them down and say, "Look, it's hard enough to make money running a crappy restaurant, but you're running forty of them.  What did you think would happen?"

Dave Weigel writes about how Obama's inauguration speech touched on gay rights, and makes this keen observation:
Hearing the president say this, though, not in a forced TV interview but in a speech that'll be printed in histories of the era, felt like a true sea change.
What did the president say?  Among other things, this:
Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law, for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.
Obama's taken a lot of heat for "evolving" on this issue.  The main complaint seems to be that he's just doing it for political gain, which is funny because it hints that the haters are at least semi-aware that they're losing on this one, and losing big.

No comments: