Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

More on Princesses

I admit...I don't really have much interest in the ethnographic make-up of the various Disney Princesses.  As a male in my mid-30s, I'm not the target audience anyway.

But Alyssa Rosenberg is very interested.  She was quite upset that Sophia is just going to be a generic princess rather than a Hispanic stereotype, and she's not the only one.

Unfortunately, Disney has had to respond to these asinine demands.  Here's a disclaimer that I didn't need:

“What’s important to know is that Sofia is a fairytale girl who lives in a fairytale world,” Nancy Kanter, senior vice president of original programming and general manager of Disney Junior Worldwide said in a post on the Princess Sofia Facebook page. “All our characters come from fantasy lands that may reflect elements of various cultures and ethnicities but none are meant to specifically represent those real world cultures.”
My emphasis.  This strikes me as a big "No shit" moment.  Even if a fantasy cartoon was intended to represent real world cultures, it would do a poor job of it since it's a fantasy cartoon.

Alyssa says this "isn’t just cowardly: it’s all kinds of boring."  It may be boring  --I personally am quite bored by princess shit-- but I'm not sure it's cowardly.

What's next?  Getting mad at Tolkien because he called his little people "Hobbits" and made no serious effort to deal with the real world problems of midgets? 

It's a fantasy, man.  The whole point is that it's not real.

No comments: