Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Things I Dug

1)  Red Tails, the movie about black fighter pilots in WWII.  It wasn't anything ground-breaking or "great" in the critical sense of the word, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.  The cinematography was great, the special effects and sound design superb.  Performances, above average.  Script, had it's moments.

But there was a scene that actually had me so emotionally invested in it that I was near tears.  No, I was crying.  And laughing at myself.

Easy's about the get smoked by the German ace everyone had previously nicknamed Pretty Boy, but Lightning isn't going to let that happen.  He swoops in head-on, tells Easy to get out of the way, and starts blasting every gun at Pretty Boy in a nose-to-nose game of chicken. 

Bam, Pretty Boy explodes and Lighting flies through the fireball.  The music swells.  Lightning's all shot to hell, fatal hits, but he's got enough strength to call out in triumph, "That's the end of Pretty Boy!"




It's pretty fucking awesome.

2)  Testament's new record.  I downloaded it last night and haven't listened to it all the way through, but I like it.  Like Anthrax's last record, it's almost like a return to the glory days of thrash metal but only with modern production techniques.  It sounds great. So maybe they're living in the past, but whatever, man.  That just means it's classic, and classic never goes out of style.

3)  The Miracle at St. Anna, not the movie --which I recently re-watched and has its merits-- but the novel.  I'm almost finished with it, and I've enjoyed it quite a bit.  It's actually pretty funny, and quite eloquent without being unapproachable.  I didn't mean to go on a black soldiers in WWII kick, but that's just how it kind of happened.

4)  The Broncos.  For obviously reasons.  They're the best!

No comments: