Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Nooooooo!

That's what I cried when I saw the headline:

Top Gun Director Dies After Jumping Off Bridge
I was hoping it was the director of the rumored remake...not Tony Scott.  Tony Scott can't be dead.  He still has movies to make, dammit.

That's depressing.

Suicides are usually prefaced by a lot of dark days, but I wonder if in the final moment, if they had a little bit more time to think about it, if they would reconsider.

I watched a documentary about a photographer who committed suicide by jumping off a building and her Dad described it perfectly.  "She had a bad day."  The one bad day, in a string of bad days, that just set the whole thing in motion.

Maybe instead of going to the roof, she could have gone to bed...and woke up the next morning.  Maybe she would have heard a bird chirping or a sunbeam shining through the window and yeah, so it would be another bad day, but fuck it.

Enduring the bad ones makes the good ones worth it.

3 comments:

laydegray said...

you are so right about enduring the bad days...

James said...

I have endured my share. Plus my Mama raised me right.

Rumor is that Tony Scott had inoperable brain cancer and that's why he did it.

I can almost appreciate that. Almost.

KickinAssTakingNames said...

Many do reconsider in the final moment. And I'm sure most probably would if they gave it more time. Unfortunately some feel so much pain they don't believe, in that moment, that they can endure even one more day of it. Very sad. And somehow sadder now that we know Scott didn't have brain cancer.