Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Second Hand Smoke

Smokers are out-numbered. We're second-class citizens. People don't like us and they certainly don't like our habit. And hey, that's fine.

But what happened to the principle of "Quicher bitchen?" What happened to tolerance? Acceptance? Understanding?

Here's John from Americablog chiming in on the "NY bans smoking in parks" debate:
I'm rather sick and tired of walking down the sidewalk and having to smell the smoke of someone a good 30 feet in front of me.
Boo fucking hoo. You know what this sounds like? This sounds like the type of petty complaint you'd hear from a redneck talking about one of his undesirables. "I'm sick of watching those homos hold hands."

I say, Get over it.

He continues:
"Smoking is a nasty habit that I don't necessarily have a problem with if people want to do it in the privacy of their own home."
Which is exactly the religious right's position on homosexuality...
But in public, where I have to breathe it, no way. Your right to smoke stops when you force me to inhale it against my will.
I think it's this kind of shit that makes me so miserable sometimes. I am just incapable of believing this.

The way I see it is that if I have a right to smoke, I have a right to smoke. It don't fucking end nowhere.

And while I do believe in self-determination and liberty, I think it's just a matter of physical biology that you can't declare independence from certain smells. Maybe in your own home...but outdoors, in public?

You get what you get. You don't have to like it. But that's life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still very much wish you would quit.....
Henry

KickinAssTakingNames said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm fine with indoor bans at restaurants, bars, etc., but when they start talking about public outdoor spaces of any sort, it becomes ridiculous. I don't particularly want to breathe in all the excessive toxic fumes from the oversized vehicles these whiners are driving, but I don't try to outlaw them.