Pages

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Ghetto Garden Update

The past couple of days, I've been working on getting my backyard in order. I decided I'm going to make it all garden. Forget the lawn. Grass, not even the ornamental variety, is no longer allowed on my property.
This is part of my grading project. As you can see, I'm taking the top couple of inches and using it as fill. Here's an example, a cheesy little planting area I established by my gazebo with a couple of concrete tree rings:
While working, I had a flash of brilliance, a eureka moment, and I ran inside and drew this sketch.
It's the design for a two-tiered raised garden bed I'm going to install. I almost built it yesterday, but the design hit me too late in the day. Shouldn't take too long. A couple cuts on the table saw, some drilling. The infill is going to be the tough part.

Another job I had to do was breaking down the big piles of sticks and branches I trimmed from the side of the house. I also nipped a huge branch from my neighbor's tree (they didn't mind; they're renters) and had to cut that down to size.

This is all I have left.
The rest, I burned. It's probably illegal, but oh well. It gets rid of my brush and provides a nice amendment for the garden.
As for how the garden that I already have is doing, here's my spring spread. Not bad for May Day. The spinach and lettuce are chugging along, but the peas and carrots have sprouted too.
And finally, spring flowers:

1 comment:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

It looks great, James! Also looks like a lot of work, but I can tell you're enjoying it.