Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Totally Trendy Superfoods for the Inarticulate

I'm not a foodie in the slightest, but I am as interested in a good, nutritious meal as the new guy. Unfortunately, for non-food related reasons, I'm not really in the market for an article titled "5 Hot New Superfoods"

Superfoods. Stop there. Just looking at things from a vernacular perspective, what's with this urge to add "super" to all good things? I see writers doing this all the time these days, on TV shows, in articles, interviews, and I don't know why. We writers should resist the urge to make language less articulate. Why must it be "super-awesome" when "awesome" will do?

And a superfood? What the hell is that? I saw one ad for Quaker Oats bragging about its status as a superfood and I had to ask, if something as common as oatmeal is a superfood, does the term even have meaning?

"I don't eat food. I eat superfood." Gimme a break. I like oatmeal and yogurt and brocolli and brown rice, too.

2 comments:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

You make good points and I agree the terms are overdone. On the flip side, I can speak as someone who enjoys using the word "super" sometimes. I try not to overdue it though, because then it looses it's effect. I also admit I use the term "superfood", but only when speaking of the banana. Which truly is a superfood. Low on potassium? Have a banana. Can't shit? Eat a banana. Need fast energy? Eat a banana. Low on tryptophan or vitamin a? Well, you know what to do.

Anonymous said...

Please learn to spell better when posting on such a prestigious site.
Looses?