Pages

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

The Garden

I spent most of the day outside working on the yard. I cleaned off the back patio, picked up a bunch of trash that had blown around, did some raking. I've got a few "do a little at a time" projects this spring, including:

A) Mixing my own blend of potting soil, using last year's stock, vermiculite, perlite, compost, manure, peat moss, and a little bit of sand. It's a bit rich, but should retain water pretty well.

B) Grading the area around the patio down a few inches to fix the drainage problem. This will be tricky and take lots of fine-tuning. It will also take a lot of back-breaking work. The dirt I will use to

C) Fill the new 4'X4' raised beds I'm introducing to the garden this year. One will be for flowers and the other for veggies. Both are built and in place, but are in need of dirt. The fill I'm using is of poor quality, so they will also need amending.

I'm going to experiment with the "square foot method" this year, so one of those beds will be divided somewhat like this:
That's the map of my 4'x8' bed, which I have already planted with the cool-season plants. Supposedly you can fit 9 spinach plants in a square foot, 16 carrots, 4 lettuce plants, and so on. We'll see.

2 comments:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

Wow. I'm impressed by your planning and ambition. You should post updates of this project throughout the summer. With pics.

And yes, I'd love to come over for a delicious salad once it's all said and done. Thanks.

Watch those squirrels.

James said...

Keep your eyes peeled. Pics will be forthcoming. I put the avid in avid gardener.