Pages

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Yes, Yes, and More Yes

I subscribed to National Geographic magazine and got my first two issues today.

On one:
Population 7 Billion: How Your World Will Change
Quieting a Noisy Ocean
Bleached Reefs Bounce Back
Telltale Scribes of Timbuktu
Conquering Vietnam's Megacave
America's Lost City

On another:
Under Paris
New Brain Science on Football Concussions
The Curious History of Feathers
Can Afghanistan Win the War Against Opium?
Why Fish Flock to Sunken Ships
China's snub-nosed monkeys

Knowledge, gimme more. More more!

Ten bucks says, "America's Lost City" is about Cahokia.

And it is!

3 comments:

KickinAssTakingNames said...

I went there once during a meteor shower. Climbed up a mound, layed on a blanket, and watched shooting stars. It would've been great if not for the insanely bright lights from the horsetrack next door, which, along with nearby highway noise, pretty much took away from the whole experience. Cahokia Mound Fail.

James said...

That makes me sad. I've been wanting to go check out Cahokia ever since I heard about it (I have a thing for pre-Columbian American cities) but the more I read the more I realized there's not much left to see.

KickinAssTakingNames said...

It is rather sad. A bit of a let down. Don't get me wrong, it's still cool to see and experience, especially if you know the history behind it, but the surroundings really take away from everything. Based on your location, it wouldn't be worth a trip just for that, but if you were nearby it is certainly worth a side trip for someone like you who is so interested in it.