Pages

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Joe the Activist

There was another Tea Party protest yesterday at Civic Center and Joe the Plumber showed up.

But isn't it time we stop kidding ourselves about Joe the Plumber? I strongly suspect he hasn't plumbed anything but the depths of political hackery for the better part of a year.

Shouldn't we start calling him "Joe the Activist?" I'll tell you one thing, I'm not calling him a plumber anymore...

Side note:

The linked article includes this line:
Protestors are upset at the size and scope of the federal government.

I've got some questions about the size and scope of the federal government myself, but I wonder what kind of lives these people lead where they skip over the municipal and state governments which have a more immediate and local effect on their day to day lives and go straight for the feds.

Are their income taxes really that much? Are the federal regulations on people's personal lives really that stringent? (Shit, man, it's not the feds saying you can't paint your house pink. Blame that on your covenant-controlled community!)

Not only that, but I wonder about their opinions on other aspects of the federal government.

Like say...

How do you feel about the defense budget, which costs taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars a year? How much would you personally pay out of your own pocket to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq?

And that's just one example.

I mean, these Tea Partiers are the "conservatives," right? They're the ones who think we need a new border fence and expanded border enforcement, right? They're the ones who want the FCC to keep naughty body parts and words from showing up on prime-time TV, right?

They're the ones who spent the better part of the Bush years trying to put a Federal amendment in the U.S. Constitution prohibiting gay marriage, right?

Forgive me if I question your commitment to "small government" when you cherry pick the "big government" stuff you like, and cry foul about the "big government" stuff you don't. At least as a liberal, I can say things like, "I'm not worried about big government so much as I about bad government" and still remain ideologically consistent!

Once you start crying about "big government" and then start hoping for a "big government" solution to your problem with abortion or illegal immigrants, then I know that you're...well...just full of shit.

3 comments:

katrocket said...

"I strongly suspect he hasn't plumbed anything but the depths of political hackery for the better part of a year."

Haha! That's so fucking hilarious...

James said...

Over a year, actually. Barack Obama was elected a year ago this week.

There's just something that irks me about a guy marketing himself as "Joe the Plumber," just another everyman American....

When he's actually the Cindy Sheehan of the Tea Party movement.

katrocket said...

I never liked that guy. For 100 reasons, but the main one is he's the Octomom of politics:

"Look at me! Follow me! HEY! Why is everyone looking at me? Stop following me!"

Until I read your post, I honestly thought his 15 minutes were long gone.