Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fore!

When I was a little kid, maybe 5 or 6 years old, I was riding along in the car with my Grandma and we passed a golf course. Grandma rolled down her window and shouted, "Fore!"

This confused Little Jamey, who asked, "Why did you yell 'four,' Grandma?"

I don't recall her exact answer but it was something like, "Because that's what you do when you play golf."

Of course, this was an oversimplification, but it sounded good at the time, and looking back on it, I suspect Grandma just wanted to see some golfers duck for no good reason. (Which, if you think about it, is plenty of good reason.)

Anyway, ever since he was little, I've told my nephew to yell "Fore!" whenever we pass a golf course. Because everyone needs a little tradition in their lives and we're feisty like that.

4 comments:

i am playing outside said...

that's cute dude. i'm gonna steal your tradition. although i don't drive by too many golf courses. maybe mini putt.

katrocket said...

Hey, my uncles had a little tradition when I was a kid, too. It was called "Pull My Finger!"

justacoolcat said...

Our tradition was to hold up the roof of a car when passing over a bridge.

James said...

IAPO, I'm sure watching mini-putters duck at nothing is just as amusing as watching golfers, if not more.

Kat, You don't want to know what my uncles did to me. It's all quite funny now, but back then...

Cat, Did you honk in tunnels too? I knew someone that lifted their feet whenever they went over train tracks.