Pages

Friday, March 07, 2008

Today's Metal Moment

I wasn't sure what to make of Mastodon when I first heard them. Unbelievably heavy, but my first impression was that they were a band that had a great sound; now all they needed was some great songs. I no longer have that view, as I've found a few songs that I could listen to over and over, but I must still admit the tempos are complicated and the riffs are ten bars long, so a single listen might leave you thinking, WTF?

Give it a couple though, and you might think these guys are masters of musical time and space.
Mastodon - Mother Puncher

2 comments:

justacoolcat said...

Well, I doubted you on both Atreyu and Avenged Sevonfold and now their latest work has grown on me.

There's no denying the track record.

So I'll check out Mastodon more closely.

James said...

Well ya know how acquired tastes work. It's been my experience that they stick more than the stuff that hits on first impression.